Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Why I Can't Wait to be Done With College

I discovered that the most useful thing about college housing is that I now have a fairly extensive list of things that I absolutely will not tolerate once I graduate and need to find my own housing. This is a result of extensive trial and error.

Housemates


In my experience, they very quickly become synonymous with 'scapegoats'. My housemates are nice enough. I've generally had good experiences. But eventually, the sink gets messy and the same person is taking out the trash every week and people start muttering things like, "Does he think the bathroom cleans itself?!"

No Dishwasher


ARRRGGGHHHH!!!! My next home will have a dishwasher. No joke. Cleaning takes twice as long as normal.

Bedroom in the Attic


Sweltering in the summer, freezing in the winter, and no damn light.

Unventilated Kitchen


This one wasn't as obvious until I tried to bake some sugar glazed pork and got some drippings on the bottom of the oven. In November, when all the windows were closed. I smoke boxed the house.

Apartment Complexes with College Students


Alright, look. You're all smart. You go to CMU. Is it really that hard to live your life without setting off the fire alarm at 6 in the morning? In January? Because standing around in PJ pants in the cold waiting for the fire department to arrive is NOT FUN. If you're going to fall asleep while you're cooking, maybe you shouldn't be cooking.

Friendly Storage Space


We have a basement. It's convenient for putting stuff in. It's a godsend for someone who needs to put things somewhere over the summer while they don't have any campus housing. The latest inventory of things that do not belong to any current housemates: 1 queen size mattress, 1 bureau, 1 TV stand, 1 futon mattress, 1 desk chair, 1 futon frame... Some of this stuff has been here for 2 years.

Pittsburgh Weather


I hate it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is certainly tough there in Steel City. But remember to count yourself fortunate to have roommates that you like and get along with. Consider the alternatives!

Lindsay said...

Cha, really. S. and I liked to use the term "garbage fairies" when we lived together. :)