Friday, November 17, 2006

The YouTube Awards

I don't generally go for media accretion sites. I don't have time, and most of the stuff that's on them is pure junk. I don't like sorting through it to find the good stuff. Recently, though, two things happened that have turned me into a YouTube devotee. First, I had to find some painting videos, which meant digging out the Bob Ross. Remember him? I was going for free and accessible, so I tried YouTube. Success! And secondly, I had vague memories of a friend showing me a video of a concert collaboration with two of my favorite musicians.

The vast breadth of the videos on this site means that suddenly, all the hard to find stuff is suddenly completely available. Specifically, music videos. I don't know why, but I've always liked music videos, and at the moment YouTube is my only source for them. Recently, my morning routine has started to include going through my iTunes library and searching the artists on YouTube to see what I find. I've also been digging up old videos of stuff that I never owned, most of which serves my completely irrational love of 80's metal hair bands. And occasionally I find some really incredible stuff that I never knew existed. Do not feel obligated to watch all of these. So without further ado, here are the best of what I've found in the last week or so:


Best Collaboration Between Legends: Bruce Springsteen and Sting: The River
This came from a concert in the 70's I think, so well before Born in the USA hit the streets. I love both artists and I'd never heard of this concert before. This is what turned me on to YouTube in the first place.
Honorable Mention: USA for Africa: We Are The World
Obviously quite important in music history. I used to listen to this growing up, but I never knew just how many artists participated. And now that I can see the video, I'm sort of embarrassed to admit how many of these singers I can name. Also, this is a crucial historical artifact for reminding us that there was a time when MJ was pretty respectable.

Best Hair: The Cult: Fire Woman
You can't see it so much in this clip, but lead singer Ian Astbury's hair is ridiculously long, thick, and shiny. I first saw this video on TV a while ago, in better resolution, and I was instantly jealous. And it's just the kind of bluesy metal that I really really like. And really, the dancing in cowboy boots is just funny. This might be my next music purchase.

Most Gratuitous Use of Music Video Cliches: Monster Magnet: Spacelord
After you watch a few music videos, you start noticing themes. And this one has them all: shots of band lip-syncing and playing along with the song, smoke, blurring, bling (the guy's suit has lights on it!), booty brigade, and pyro. A monument to the lesser moments of music video art. I'm pretty sure it's meant to be self-effacing (not positive, but something about this screams "JOKE!"). I actually like the song, too.

Best Band Sense of Humor: TIE! Paul Simon: You Can Call Me Al and Survivor: The Starbucks Commercial
I suppose the Survivor clip shouldn't really count because it's not a music video. It's a Starbucks commercial. But when I first saw it, I couldn't stop laughing. For some reason, the image of the drum kit being pushed down the street was just too much. And it's a great song, with pretty wonderful lyrics. And Paul Simon... I have lots of respect for anyone who can make a music video that makes fun of their height. The rumor is that Paul Simon is 5'2" and Chevy Chase is 6'4". And it's definitely noticeable in this video. Oh, and no the audio isn't off. Chevy Chase just doesn't know the song well.
Honorable Mention: Dire Straits: Walk of Life
Not much to say, other than we've all had one of those days...

Best Use of Puppets: Genesis: Land of Confusion
Well then... I dare you to find puppets anywhere else that have this much character. Wow. Though the Phil Collins figure bears a striking resemblance to Bill Murray. How many musicians can you recognize at the end? Disturbed covered this song and their video is interesting in it's own way. How many dirty politicians can you recognize? :)

Best Substitution of Body Jewelery for Facial Hair: Disturbed: Stricken
The lead singer, in a moment of sheer (shear) genius, decided to do away with goatees and soul patches and substitute two very thick silver hoops on his chin. I think they're great. And original.

Best Looking Lead Singer: Bon Jovi: Everyday
It's not just that he's gorgeous, it's that he's been gorgeous for as long as I've been alive. The band was formed in 1983. 'nuff said.

Best RedHead: TIE! Loreena McKennitt: Mummer's Dance and Tori Amos: Crucify
Probably the two most listenable songs in this whole post. Also known as the affirmative action category after I realized I didn't really represent any females at all.

Where It All Went Wrong: Nine Inch Nails: Closer NOT SAFE FOR WORK
Closer is a track on NIN's epic The Downward Spiral. The album, and consequently this video, were released in 1994, which means I was 11 when I first saw this on MTV. I saw the edited version, with no nudity and no language, but there was still plenty in there to make an impression. Still one of my favorite songs and videos. Directed by legend Mark Romanek.

1 comment:

Copper said...

Honorable Mentions:

Best Collaboration Between Legends:
Aretha Franklin and Annie Lennox "Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves" (Shame to YouTube for only having the anime weirdos version.)

Best Hair:
Nelson "After the Rain"

Best Femullet EVER:
Jane Child "Don't Want to Fall in Love"

Best Band Sense of Humor:
Foo Fighters "Big Me"

Best Use of Muppets:
Weezer "Keep Fishin'"

Best Looking Lead Singer:
I got nothing. I still hold out for Weird Al.

Best RedHead:
Annie Lenox

Best Political Message:
En Vogue "Free Your Mind"