Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Travel Prep: Part 3

Used book stores are up to no good. That is my recent conclusion after visiting one yesterday to make a donation and coming home with more than I started with. This particular store was trying to offload its hardcover volumes. They take up a lot of shelf space and apparently no one buys them. The store's solution to this is quite a deal: customers can fill up a paper grocery bag with hardcovers for $10. $10! That's less than $1/book. So now I have stacks of hardcover books that I don't really want to put in my luggage.

If, like me, you just couldn't wait for bootcamp and are stuck with a XOM install, you may have noticed that firmware updates don't work, which means you can't install bootcamp. It turns out that the cause of all these problems is that XOM changed the MBR. This site has instructions for replacing XOM with bootcamp, theoretically without loss of data to either your XP or your Mac partition. I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks promising.

I'm having a hard time finding the coffee maker. In Pittsburgh, where I go to school, I can grab them at the local grocery store. Here, outside of Philadelphia, the first store I tried didn't have them. I'll keep hunting today.

I'm not panicking about leaving tomorrow, which probably means that there's some monumental task I've forgotten about. My to-do list today consists of visiting a few people, buying the last couple things I need for my trip, mailing a rent check, and messing around with my computer. And finishing the packing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a french press would also work as a coffee maker- and you wouldn't need filters... just an idea..

Anonymous said...

a french press would also work as a coffee maker- and you wouldn't need filters... just an idea..