Tuesday, August 15, 2006

What were you thinking?

That seems to be everyone's favorite question these days. Why did I decide to drop everything and spend 10 weeks in a developing country doing consulting of all things?

From a computer science perspective, my decision doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The work I did over the summer was not particularly difficult or involved as far as CS is concerned. If I were looking to really pad my resume, I'd be much better off spending my summer at some place like Nvidia or Microsoft doing development work.

But after spending three years as a computer science major, I've discovered that really, I have no desire to be a software developer. I don't want to be a computer scientist. I had inklings of a desire to go into project management instead. So, in the interest of exploring that side of my mind, I took a consulting class last spring. I had a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed the work. And when I saw an opportunity to go somewhere exotic and do more consulting, I did everything I could to take advantage of that chance.

Now that I've had some consulting experience, I've decided that I really like the field, but I'd probably enjoy the stability of project management a bit more. So, as I head into my last year of college, I'll be looking for those sorts of jobs in the tech sector.

No comments: